The process of buying a business can be a complex often confusing process for even an experienced buyer much less the first time buyer. Buyers generally need answers to the following questions:
- What kind of business should I purchase?
- How do I evaluate the price the seller is asking for the business.?
- Why is necessary for me to have money for a down payment and be able to substantiate the down payment amount?
- What kinds of financing options are available to help me purchase a business?
- If this is such a good business, why can’t I get financing for it?
- What kind of financial records should I expect to receive from the seller?
- What kind of training is available from the seller?
- What kind of information can I expect the seller to disclose to me before I have made an offer and what can I not expect to see.
- How do I ensure that I am getting all the necessary information from the seller concerning lawsuits or other potential problems before I decide to buy the business?
- Who takes care of negotiating a new lease with the landlord if the seller does not own the business?
- What are the advantages of using an escrow company in order to complete the purchase transaction?
- How can the purchase of real estate along with the business be advantageous in terms of financing?
- I do I make a legal offer to purchase a business?
- How do I verify the financial representations a seller makes to me before I actually purchase the business?
- What happens if the seller’s representations are untrue? Can I cancel the transaction?
- How do I protect myself from the seller when I am purchasing a business?
- What happens during the escrow process?
- What forms will I need to file with governmental agencies in order to complete the transactions?
- How do I protect myself from the creditors of the business that have not been disclosed to me before I take possession of the business?
- Is it better for me to purchase the assets of the business or should I purchase the Stock of the company?
- Why do I need to fill out a confidentiality agreement before getting detailed information about the business?